what I use to make my period (slightly) less miserable…
FYI if talking about blood grosses you out, don’t read this. But also, periods are completely normal so consider using this article as a first step towards getting comfortable with the topic 😊 Below you will find my favorite natural period products.
I have had my period since I was 10 years old. That means I have had 14 YEARS worth of periods to test out all the different menstrual products that exist, lucky me. There have been plenty that I loved, hated, or just tolerated, and I want to share some of my faves so that you can hopefully enjoy them too. Keep in mind, though, that everyone is different. These are just my opinions on these natural period products.
You can also view my Amazon list for more ideas.
Going to break this into two categories: (1) for bleeding and (2) for cramps
- For Bleeding
- Period underwear: these are wonderful for medium-light days when I need a break from pads. I personally couldn’t wear these every day because of my flow (and comfort) but I am a big fan. These are also WONDERFUL to sleep in; before period underwear I struggled to get comfortable at night during that time of the month. I use the brand Thinx, but there are many out there that seem promising!
- Organic pads: there is such a stigma around wearing pads which I will never understand. For me, they are way more comfortable than tampons and are best for my heavy flow. Unfortunately, pads (and tampons!) are filled with toxic chemicals that should really be nowhere near our private areas. I have tried a few brands of organic pads and liked them, but they can be expensive.
- Something I tried but (sadly) didn’t like: menstrual cup
- For Cramps
- Essential Oil: I am still hesitant on essential oils, but the one I use for my cramps has definitely helped me. I use doTERRA’s ClaryCalm oil before and during my period. I put a little bit on my lower abdomen each morning to reduce tension and inflammation.
- Heating patches: if you’ve been following me for a while, you know that I swear by my heating pad. I use it for my period cramps, IBS, headaches, etc. However, I obviously can’t carry a heating pad around with me everywhere which means 80% of the time I am without my most relied on source of relief. I recently found Rael’s Heating Patches and they are LIFESAVERS. You stick one on the outside of your underwear (see photo above) and it stays warm all day. The best part? It’s all natural!
- Acupuncture: next to applying heat, acupuncture is the absolute best relief I have found for cramps. It can be expensive and time consuming, which is why I ultimately stopped going. However, when I was making routine appointments my period cramps were almost non-existent. Never in my life have I had such easy periods–for reference I typically get the type of cramps that make me immobile. If you have the time and money, I highly recommend. Note: some insurances do cover acupuncture.
- I could list a million options that I’ve tried and didn’t like, but instead I will be honest that typically on my first day of bleeding I cave and take ibuprofen and that’s okay!
What has helped you? What have you not liked? Let me know! I’m always open to trying new things, especially if it’ll help with cramps/PMS.
Want more posts about menstrual/reproductive health? If so, comment what you’d like to see!
Wow this is all amazing. I wish this all existed when I had my period. Ladies, share this info with every women you know. You live in a time when it is ok to say period so make it a conversation. We deserve that.
Yess exactly!! We need to work together to make these items accessible and to normalize periods 🙂