free from: gluten and dairy (vegan option)
Every year at Christmastime my parents and I make gingerbread cookies. It’s been this way my whole life. When I went gluten and dairy free, I missed being able to enjoy the treats during holidays. After a few years, my parents and I finally figured out the perfect gluten free gingerbread cookies recipe (and dairy free of course).
These are gluten free and dairy free. They are also incredibly easy to make, and so nostalgic. The following makes about two dozen gluten free gingerbread cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
For the frosting, we made a simple glaze with oat milk, powdered sugar and natural food coloring. I don’t have measurements in this recipe, so feel free to wing it (always more sugar than milk!) or use a different frosting recipe.
Gluten + Dairy Free Ingredients
- Vegan butter
- Brown sugar
- Gluten free flour
- Spices: salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg
To make fully vegan, simply swap in a flax egg. I haven’t tried myself but it should work–let me know if you test it out!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg (or flax egg)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in egg and molasses.
- Sift flour into a separate bowl then mix in the remaining ingredients. Fold into the first bowl. Let dough chill in fridge for two hours.
- Then preheat oven to 375F and divide dough into four sections. Put flour on a cutting board and roll out one section of dough and cut your shapes, then do the same with remaining sections.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then let completely cool on racks before frosting.