free from: gluten and dairy (vegan friendly)
In honor of Veganuary, I’m trying to incorporate more vegan meals into my life. This vegan broccoli salad is easy to make and a crowd pleaser! I’ve brought it to multiple gatherings and they had no idea it was vegan and gluten free.
My mom used to make this all the time for gatherings growing up, and I honestly used to HATE it, now that I’ve come to like vegetables it is one of my favorite dishes. Plus it’s easy to make so that’s always a bonus.
The ingredients for the vegan broccoli salad are nice and simple. For the vegan cheese I used Good Planet. For the vegan mayo, I used Trader Joe’s brand.
I highly recommend making this a day in advance if possible, as the longer it sits the more flavorful it is.
- Vegan cheddar
- Red onion
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegan mayo
- Lemon juice
Since this is already gluten free and vegan, I don’t foresee too many substitutes needed. However, here are a few ideas.
The craisins can be swapped with raisins if you have a preference. For a sugar free recipe, you could swap the sugar with monkfruit but I’m not sure how it would change the flavor. If you have other ingredients you want swapped, leave a comment and I’m happy to recommend a substitute!
Vegan Broccoli Salad
- 2 heads broccoli chopped
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 1/2 cup vegan cheddar shredded
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, craisins, cheese and onion.
- In a separate bowl, make your dressing by whisking the sugar, salt, pepper, mayo and lemon juice.
- Pour dressing into first bowl and mix until thoroughly coated. Store in fridge.
- As mentioned, this tastes better the longer the dressing can soak in. If possible, refrigerate for a couple hours or even overnight before eating.